Airpods won’t connect ? Worry no more here is how you go about fixing them.
Why Airpods Won’t connect to Iphone/Ipad
By design, Apple Airpods are meant to pair automatically to your iPhone, Mac, iPad and any other iOS devices.
So it can be worrying when your airpods are not connecting to any of these devices.
1. Airpods Won’t Connect because Bluetooth is turned off
The problem could be that you have turned off Bluetooth so simply turning it back on can solve the issue.
Follow these steps to turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone.
- Say “hey Siri” or press and hold the home button to activate voice assistant.
- Now Say “Turn on Bluetooth.”
You can also turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone / Ipad in the control center, which is accessible by swiping up from below the screen.
Once you are in the control center, locate the Bluetooth icon and adjust the settings.
If your airpods are still not connecting to your iPhone, make sure you unpair them from your iPhone and then reset the Airpods before trying to reconnect.
2. Check if the Airpods are within range of your Iphone
This seems logical but it’s always important to double check everything if you are having problems connecting Airpods to your iPhone.
Apple Airpods are designed to connect to your iPhone via Bluetooth and for this to work the two devices must be within a couple of meters from one another in order to pair. In most cases your airpods won’t connect if you are more than 100 meters away from your iPhone.
3. Airpods not connecting because you have not Charged the Battery
It could also be that your Airpods are not connecting to your iPhone because the battery level is zero.
Charging your Airpods is easy. Simply place them in their case and then plug the cable into a USB charging port.
Ten minutes is adequate charging time before you can try reconnecting them.
4. Airpods won’t connect to Iphone because of outdated Operating System
If you have tried all other options to reconnect your Airpods, it could be that your iphone’s operating system is outdated.
Ensure that you are on the latest iOS version before trying to reconnect your Airpods.
Why Airpods won’t connect to Mac
Just like with the IPhone, Airpods won’t connect if you do not have the latest version of the Mac OS.
As of 2020, the latest Mac operating system is macOS Sierra so if you are using older versions it could be the reason why your Airpods are not connecting to Mac.
So how do you check the OS currently installed on your Mac.
Well, it’s simple, simple navigate to the Apple logo located on the upper left part of your Mac and click on the button “About This Mac.”
Immediately, a pop-up appears describing the version of MacOS that is currently installed on your computer. Click Software update if you are not on MacOS Sierra.
Here are some fixes you could try if Airpods will not connect to Mac after updating to the latest iOS version.
1. Airpods won’t connect to Mac if you have not Turned on Bluetooth on your device
Turning on Bluetooth on your Mac is the simplest fix to Airpods not connecting.
To turn Bluetooth on your Mac simply follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences
- Click on the Bluetooth button.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your Mac.
2. Airpods not connecting to Mac because you have not Activated Bluetooth Pairing Mode
This will typically happen if you are not logged into I cloud with your Iphone /Mac.
Follow these steps to activate Bluetooth pairing mode on Mac
- Place your Airpods in their charging case.
- With the lid still open, long press the button at the rear end of your Airpods charging case (This is the setup button).
- Wait for the status light to flash white and try reconnecting them with your Mac. (Airpods blinking white indicates that they are in pairing mode)
Both 2nd generation Airpods and Airpods pro are designed to connect automatically to your Mac but sometimes this is not the case even after you have activated Bluetooth pairing mode.
If this is the case then you need to manually pair Airpods to Mac.
How to Manually connect Airpods pro/2 to a Mac Pc.
- Ensure that Bluetooth is turned on your Mac and that the Airpod charging case is open.
- Go to System Preferences.
- Open Bluetooth devices.
- Click twice on your Airpods to manually connect them to your Mac.
3. Airpods Won’t connect to Mac because you have not selected them as the output Device
In some cases, it could be that your Airpods are not connecting to Mac because your computer is connected to another output device.
To fix the issue ensure that Airpods are the main output device. Here is how to go about it:
- Firstly Airpods should within range and Bluetooth should be active. (Learn how to activate Bluetooth on Airpods)
- Navigate System Preferences on your Mac.
- Open Sound.
- Select the Output tab.
- Click on AirPods to activate output.
Note that updating to MacOS sierra may interfere with the way Airpods connect to Mac. The solution in such a situation is to forget Airpods on your Mac.
Forgetting Airpods allows you start an entirely new Bluetooth connection.
How to Forget Airpods pro/ 2 as a Bluetooth on Mac
1. On your Mac, navigate to System Preferences.
2. Open Bluetooth and click the list of devices.
3. Find your Airpods pro and locate the “x” button.
4. This prompts an alert to confirm “Forget”
5. Try to reconnect Airpods to Your Mac.
4. Airpod Won’t connect because of a faulty charging case.
Let’s face it, electronics are not meant to last forever.
Therefore, it could be that your Airpods pro are not connecting to Mac because of a fault in the charging case (buy new Airpods Charging case) or maybe you just forgot to charge the case.
How to charge Airpods Pro charging case.
- Plug in the Airpod lightning cable onto your Airpods Charging Case.
- Connect the Airpods lighting cable to a wall charger or a USB port.
- The Airpods’ charging case is now charging. Note that it will take a few hours for the charging case to fully charge.
How to charge Your AirPods
Charging Airpods charging case is the first step. Next, you need to charge your airpods before try to reconnect them with Mac.
Here is how to charge your Airpods.
- Make sure that the Airpods are in the charging case.
- Check the status light at the back of the charging case to determine the battery level of your Airpod pro.
- If the charging case blinks green then your Airpods are fully charged, otherwise, leave both Airpods to charge (Learn what it means if your Airpods are blinking orange).
5. Airpods won’t connect to Mac because you need to reset them
Just like when connecting Airpods to an Iphone or Ipad, resetting could be the solution that you are looking for.
How to reset Airpods pro/ 2
- Long press the setup button at the rear of your Airpods’ charging case.
- Your Airpods will blink amber and then white indicating that they have been reset.
- Reconnect your Airpods to Mac the usual way.
Bonus Tip : Airpods Won’t Connect because they need repairing.
For most people the Airpods pro price tag is sure to leave a mark on your pocket. Therefore, only consider repairing them if all other fixes fail to work.
It could be that your Airpods won’t connect because of a hardware problem and repair is the only to get them working.
How to Repair AirPods?
One way to repair your Airpods is through Apple online support.
You could also return your Airpods to the store you purchased them for repair, or exchange them for a set of Apple earbuds.
You may also enjoy